Friday 9 December 2011

“I was crying for a pair of shoes, when I found someone who had no legs!”



This is about a day back in December 2009 when I was in Trivandrum. I had got a job in a company there just a month ago. My company had organized a visit to an orphanage. Although going there was not mandatory, I went because I had contributed some money for buying Christmas gifts for the orphans.

I do not remember the name of the orphanage. That was the first time I visited an orphanage. Initially I had the notion that there were very strict rules to be followed in an orphanage. I had thought that my visit would be very formal. Never once could I imagine before my visit that it would become one of the most memorable days of my life – a day which will bring tears to my eyes whenever I think of it, a day which will really make me think!

Initially for about half an hour or so it was very quiet, because we had gone to the hall where there were children mostly aged less than 2 years, most of them sleeping. The few that were awake looked at us as if we were aliens. Slowly, one or two, with a lot of hesitation, would come to us and get up on our laps. I can still feel those soft little hands patting on my face and pulling on my hair, those little playful fingers feeling my face. I can even feel myself kissing those soft chubby cheeks – it was so beautiful. There were so many of them. The commotion increased and the sleeping beauties woke up and looked at us with scared faces, and some of them started crying. It took time to calm them down.

Then we were taken to another room where there were children who were a bit older, some, by God’s grace, normal, and the rest, not fortunate enough either to speak or to understand anything. I remember, in that room there was a little girl who got up on my lap, hugged me like she had found her own brother, and she just would not get down or let me go. The Sisters in charge of the orphanage were more than mothers to these little children. A woman’s caring for one’s own child is something, and a woman dedicating her life to caring for so many children with a smiling face, none of whom were born to her, just like a mother cares for her own child, requires more than a mother! That day I understood what Sister means in Christianity. I felt a sense of respect and love growing inside me for them. I understood what being a human being means, and what the word ‘humane’ means.

The day went amidst much merry making at the orphanage. Christmas gifts were given to the children. I returned at home in the evening. It was all very good then. At night when I went to bed, I do not know why, but my heart became so heavy. Thoughts were clogging my mind. Why did I not bring that little girl with me? I did not have a sister. I could have brought her and kept her with my parents. She could have parents. I started missing the love that the little girl gave me.

A big realization struck me. I had always had my own parents by me to look after me through good and bad. I had a family, and my parents had helped me get a job so that I would not die of hunger. I had already started earning and I knew I would be earning much higher in the future – I would earn a lot of worldly comfort. Even then I was not content with what I had. I was always crying for more. What about those children who had no idea to whom they were born, or about anyone in this world who would tell them whom they were born to? They are so ill-fated that they were given birth by some irresponsible bitch whose intended to have some fun with some equally irresponsible son of a bitch. Otherwise they might have been born to some ill-fated mother who had been driven by poverty to abandon her child to be taken care of by someone else, and herself commit suicide.

I do not know when I fell asleep...

4 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Several things to say, Shubho:

1) I am glad you went. No amount of book reading or sermonizing can come close to the impact that a direct experience like this makes;
2) I am glad you reacted the way you did. You may not adopt a sister, but it will make you a better man, and probably a man of much greater social worth in the long run,
3) I shall be glad to imagine that I played some little role in your formative years in shaping you into the kind of man you have become,
4) True goodness, like real evil, is I believe latent in the individual: you either have it or you don't. However, it is both my conviction and hope that goodness can be nurtured or stifled, and it is my greatest grouch against this country that our whole educational system (beginning with what most parents drum into their children's minds) is geared to making not just selfish but blind people: people who will neither look at the less fortunate nor do anything for them, but spend their lives envying and trying to catch up with those who have more of everything, and call that the race for 'success'.
5) Finally, I find it odd to see that though your blog has had more than 1000 visits so far, it still has only one member!

Sudha said...

Hi Shubhodip,
Nice one..U made me remember the fantastic day of meeting those angels at Trivandrum.
But No Need to call their irresponsible parents with bad words.Instead try to motivate the people through your words to help those children.:)

-Sudha

Subhadip Dutta said...

Dear Sir,

I was happy then because I had gone there, and I am happy now that you are happy because I had gone there.

The upbringing of a child, and the people with whom (s)he associates determines what the child is going to become in future. Firstly I was very lucky to have parents who have been by me through good and bad and have taught me not only by words, but also by example as much they could. When I was in the 9th standard, you joined the list of people who have shaped me. The talks that I used to have with you after the classes in the evenings at your home, and the talks that I have been having with you since I became you ex-student have played a very big role in moulding me into the person that I am today.

When I reached college, that list grew a bit lengthier because there were some of my friends, whose thoughts matched mine, and their names also found their places in that list. Those few friends have also contributed in the becoming of me. In fact two of those friends had also gone there with me because they were also physically present in Trivandrum at that time, and I never needed to tell them to go with me. We just decided that we would go. Maybe they had also had good upbringings. I do not know whether they felt the way I did, but both of them said the same thing – “Shubho, we have too much! They have nothing, not even an identity”.

Sir, I am lucky to have people like you by me. You all have played a very big role in making what is today ‘I’. I also think that with all the things which you are happy about, you should also be happy for my friends who went with me and said what I have written above. You do not know them, but even then, I think they deserve some of your happiness. I am saying this because today it is very difficult to find a friend who will teach you human values. I have some friends of that sort, who think a little bit more than just money and status.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Oh, I am glad for you that you have found a few such friends, Shubho: you are a very lucky man indeed.

Sorry I took so long to respond.